|National Honor Society|
The National Honor Society is a service organization that recognizes accomplishments of students in scholastics, leadership, service, and citizenship (character). Membership is an honor, not a privilege. Those with a cumulative 3.5 GPA or better in the junior and senior classes are contacted to be given the opportunity to provide information for perusal by a faculty committee for possible selection. Our Minnesota Valley Lutheran Chapter began with a charter granted in 2001. Our first induction was held in Spring of 2002. In the eleven years of our existence we have been an active group, finding projects to benefit our school, our church, or community and even our nation.
FYI members and their parents: Unless the activity you wish to participate in is a sanctioned, organized NHS activity (where the request came directly to NHS and the advisor, and was accepted by the group or by the advisor with officer approval) you cannot receive "time" towards your minimum required goal. Any activity you might choose which is not eligible for time is eligible for your Individual Service Project (ISP) which is to be completed by our first meeting in September.
The schedule of events for the next school year, 2012 - 2013, is as follows:
· Welcome back for Faculty/Staff
· Paper bags – Parents should save theirs for text book covers
· Magnets – for all new students
· Faculty and Staff Birthday Cards
· Opening Service – Officers are ushers
· School store – open every Tuesday morning we have school from 8:00-8:15 a.m.
· First meeting starts at 7:15am
· Prison ministry cards
· Grandparent’s Days – greeters
· Dues – for this group opening the school year it will be $8 by executive vote plus the $5 for stole cleaning = $13 for each incoming member in September
· Fines of $0.50 per day are enacted on delinquent dues after September 28th
· Homecoming – fundraiser will be discussed again in August
· Birthday cards for 7th and 8th graders in the association
· Highway clean-up – September or October
· Fundraiser for NHS during Homecoming Week—this helps pay our expenses
· Food drive – MLC food shelf, class competition, food in bags with class number attached can be placed on check out desk in the library or money in envelopes can be placed in the chest in the library with class name on it, weight will be added up and money also included to determine winner, homemade Chocolate chip cookies prize
· Veteran’s day – muffins to library
· Table decorations for Veteran’s day
· Parent/teacher consultations – we serve as greeters
· Announce cards and quarters campaign
· Military encouragement cards
· New 2 You and Treasure Haus – January 5, 12, 19, 26 are the Saturdays but we have no idea when basketball tournaments or Student Council activity weekends will take place so our choices will need to wait
· Induction – February 10th – mandatory for ALL members to be there, duties begin at 6:15, Induction is at 7 p.m.
· Auction – we work for this. Booster Club helps us
· Clean the highway this month or next
· National Student Leadership Week – locker posters and sub sandwich meal for Student Council
· Possibly clean the highway, if not in April
· Postal worker’s food drive
As the year progresses, there are other requests that come to our group. These will be decided on an individual basis and participation will be affected by availability of members to work.